Saturday, February 12, 2011

online module 4

A Partial List of Heterosexual Privileges

The most unfair advantage of being heterosexual is being about to love who I want and furthermore being able to “legally marry the person I love.” I think if you are able to love you should have the opportunity to get married and spend your life with that person. Number three is another one I never really thought about “I can hold hands, touch, and dance with the other person I love in public without fear of others’ reactions.” Living in the south my whole life I believe that most people are judgmental towards gays and would be offended if they saw two guys or two girls kissing. However, I wish that would change and the world would be open to every ones choice to love whoever they want. Finally number twenty “I can live life fully and openly with my family and friends.” Being a dancer I have several friends that are gay and to me this is the hardest part watching them live a lie to their family and others who are not accepting. I am able to bring my boyfriend around my friends and family with no hesitation, and I wish the same for my friends who are gay.

A List of My Privileges

1. I can cry my way out of getting a speeding ticket. (If the cop is white, and not a complete jerk I can cry until he feels bad for me)

2. I can walk into a classroom in Tuscaloosa knowing my race will be the dominant one. (There are more whites than blacks in Tuscaloosa)

3. I can love my boyfriend and not fear disapproval from my peers. (I am straight so they will accept him)

4. I can go on vacations during the year. (This would be because of my class, but being able to enjoy life and take vacations).

5. I can stand on the side of the road without being called inappropriate names according to my color. (We all know about the racial slurs happening in Tuscaloosa, and this needs to stop).

No comments:

Post a Comment