Wednesday, February 2, 2011

False Advertisement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U

I had a friend show me this video a while back, and it really made me question the motives of advertisement companies. Do they want us to pine away, longing to look like something that is unattainable? Through make-up and editing they can create someone who actually isn't real. Also, film editors will alter frames to "clean up" actors and actresses skin, bodies, hair, eye color, etc, use body doubles for shots where certain features are exposed or showcased (I'm talking about even feet and hands!) They do these things because they think that will appease the audience, but what does it really do?

2 comments:

  1. This idea of how advertising companies make a false image of women that is unattainable and everything discussed in class today has really got me thinking. I agree with a comment someone in class said about how our generation has never been exposed to anything else, which is so sad. While many of these ad's we see on a daily basis don't even catch my attention I guess I never took the time to actually look into it. It is basically impossible for any woman to look the way magazine covers look, because even these women "the most beautiful ones" cannot even fulfill such high standards.
    But what can we as a society do to change this? I know every woman should learn to accept themselves they way they are, however what can we actually do to stop this phenomenon? I feel like as long as these magazine's and commercials and such continue to make money this will never end-- I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend showed me this video last semester after she took a class that discussed the motives of media. It amazed me to the point that I started to not beleive anything that the media said!

    ReplyDelete