Sunday, January 23, 2011

I would like your thoughts...

Last night I went out with my girlfriends and they wanted to end the night at Galettes. I've only been once before, so I was fine with the idea, however not being on the Greek side of things I was skeptical as to if I would know anyone there, etc. The rest of the girls I was out with are in sororities and this fact should not separate us, but to the doorman it did. They were dressed like most of the girls inside, I was not. I was wearing very tall black heels, gray tights, a black and purple patterned dress, and a grey and purple cape/coat, the majority of girls inside were wearing jeans, sweatshirts, and Uggs. When I handed my ID to the bouncer, he told me it was fake and that I couldn't come in. My friends all validated that I was who my driver’s license said that I was; my other friend had even already paid for my entrance and was confused as to why we were held up. I then gave him my ACT card, my Mastercard, two Visa cards, even my health issuance card, and he still denied me entrance. I was really perplexed with the whole process, though as I was handing him my five forms of identification it hit me that to him I was different. After my revelation, I blatantly asked him if he wasn’t letting me in because I wasn't a Greek and/or wasn't dressed like most of the other girls inside. He then said that I was yelling at him and that I would never be allowed inside the bar ever in my life. I then had to stand outside with my friends on one side of the metal gates and me on the other, until the bar closed, with my dear friend running around the bar trying to find the manager, a cop, and another bouncer who all told her the same thing, "the bouncer is allowed to let the people he wants." How ridiculous.

I've heard this type of thing happening to guys who try to go there who are looked down upon and called a GDI like it’s a disease, but never to a woman. I believe that I'm a pretty attractive person and that the only reason he did not let me in was because I did not fit the cookie cutter description he’s been given as to the type of girls he’s allowed to let in. I was a confident, well spoken woman who was dressed nice, just trying to have a fun night with my friends, and he ruined that. I have nothing against the Greeks, my two best girlfriends are in sororities, and I get along swimmingly with their sorority sisters, however I just think it’s crazy that the Galettes doorman discriminated and separated us because of what I represented, a quirky, well spoken, educated, strong woman.

Thoughts…?

12 comments:

  1. If i was that doorman, I would surely let her in. I don't understand why he would say that her ID is fake when she backed it up with other forms of ID. He should have given her a valid reason why she couldn't enter. The police officer and manager should have been of more assistance because that can make the place look bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from my perspective on this and me being greek i think that is absoulutely ridiculous to discriminate you of being a GDI. I have friends who are not greek who go to red shed all the time so maybe give that a shot. If you are 21 and showed all kinds of identification then he should of for sure let you in because there are plenty of people running around in that bar who are not. Don't let this one time ruin your experience of going out there are plenty of other bars where you will have a good time and be accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really upsetting. I would definitely look at this as their loss and take my business elsewhere. Any kind of establishment that wouldn't allow you in based on appearance or social standing (the fact that you aren't in a sorority) is not one that I would personally want to spend my time or money at. It would be different if it was just the door guy then I'd say he's just a you know what. But the fact that the manager didn't come to your defense is what really makes it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang... that is one upsetting night. I am glad that you represented women well that night. You didnt get upset or make a scene which is something you should be proud of. I am not in a sorority either so I know where you are coming from. This kind of incident has happened to me before too. I feel for you.
    To the bouncer.... What goes around comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just makes me upset with the establishment. I am greek, but also underage and even i have been let in there before. My older sorority sisters say that the place has been run down with underage people and that it is just starting to become a joke of a bar, so take your business else where! it definitely doesn't seem worth it if the bouncer is going to be that caddy about it. I am sorry that this happened to you, completely unfair. Also, one of my older sorority sisters is actually a bartender there and she said that they have been having staff meetings about all the underage people being let in so maybe they will talk to the bouncer about who he lets in, and the bar will hopefully improve in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel as if you should take your business elsewhere just as AlMills commented. That is just plain stupid of the management, bouncers, and whoever else was a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's just ridiculous they left it up to the bouncer. A normal cop could've scanned your ID and proved you weren't lying. I am so sorry they did that to you. I am in a sorority and I go out with some girls who aren't in one and I have never seen any of them treated like this. And I agree with AlMills there are so many people who run around in there that are underage, they will buckle down soon and hopefully realize they made a major mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont understand what that bouncer's problem was especially after you attempted in several ways to prove that you are who you ID said you were. I've seen a lot of underage people get turned down for fake IDs but never seen security be so suspicious. There definitely should have been somebody else you could have gone to for help in order to prove your age. If this happens again, you should complain for sure. I don't think the bouncer was stereotyping you for dressing different, he was probably just taking his job a little too seriously and didn't realize he was ruining the fun for you and your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is shocking that they would not let you in. I am a GDI and I feel like every time I go out I tend to be dress the same way as you are describing....if this happened to me I would be very upset also! I would not let this ruin your perception of other bars and Greeks because I have never been turned away from those! I agree with taking your business elsewhere because this is just bad business.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! That is crazy and ridiculous. The bouncer had no right to discriminate you among the other people and say you could not come in, especially when you showed him 5 forms of identification. I am in a sorority, but I feel like some people take the greek life way too far, especially with situations like that. I would definitely take your business somewhere else, like everyone said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my opinion, this was very ridiculous. How can you stop someone from partying just because they are not greek or not wearing a particular type of clothing. That is being dumb because you are losing money by not letting a select few people in the club. It seemed like the police officer could have done more because that is a type of discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all of the comments; it was an interesting experience, and if anything, it made me more proud to be my eclectic, open self.

    My friend Micheal recently posted a quote that reads, "I think the reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except yourself." This is something that we are all faced with at least once in our life (think back to middle school and high school, ek!). It's so hard to really step outside the box and express ones individuality inside and out, when parts of society make it effortless to conform and ostracize those who don't. At the end of the day I am proud of who I am and the person I've become. Little things like this only give me experience to share and learn from.

    ReplyDelete